Simply the best, easy Spinach Salad Recipe with eggs, tomatoes, cucumbers, sesame seeds, and a healthy salad dressing. Quick, customizable and is the perfect side salad to any meal!
Along with strawberry spinach salad and spinach avocado salad, I promise this is one of the best salad recipes you will ever make!
Table of Contents
I have the best spinach salad recipe for you! Fifteen years ago we used to live in Calgary and I was a brand new mom. One night, a friend invited us over for dinner. Part of dinner was this spinach salad.
She tossed it with the dressing in a garbage bag! Not environmentally friendly choice but every spinach leaf got coated in delicious spinach salad dressing.
Since then, this recipe for spinach salad has become my go-to salad recipe and I use tongs for tossing it because I feel bad to throw out plastic bag after a single use.
I am sure you will love it too! Spinach is full of good for your nutrients. With its mild taste, I have come to use it in everything from healthy spinach dip to a green smoothie!
Ingredients for Spinach Salad Recipe
You can actually add whatever you want to this simple spinach salad recipe but here is the basic guideline of what I use because I always have these simple ingredients on hand.
- Baby spinach: The leaves are more tender, flavorful and honestly just fit on your fork better.
- Grape tomatoes: Add a burst color and juicy flavor.
- Cucumber: I love mini cucumbers for taste but English cucumber or summer garden cucumber works.
- Mushrooms: Sliced white mushrooms or brown mushrooms add some great texture to the spinach salad.
- Hard boiled eggs: Add protein and that egg yolk is so creamy!
- Sesame seeds: Add crunch with a nutty flavor.
- Spinach salad dressing: An easy dressing with extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard and soy sauce. You can substitute the apple cider vinegar with lemon juice.
How to Make Spinach Salad
The beauty of this spinach salad recipe is it’s a cinch to whip up with only a little prep work!
Prep ingredients: Slice hard boiled eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes and cucumbers. I love to make hard boiled eggs in Instant Pot or hard boiled eggs in air fryer as they turn out perfectly every time.
Now is a good time to toast sesame seeds. I love to quickly toast my sesame seeds in a small skillet on the stove. You can opt not to toast your seeds, but they do add another layer of flavor to this spinach salad.
Place ingredients in bowl: Fill large bowl with spinach, then add eggs, mushrooms, cucumbers and tomatoes. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds last.
Make spinach salad dressing: In a small jar with a tight fitting lid, combine olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard and soy sauce. Shake until well mixed or just whisk salad dressing in a small bowl.
Then drizzle dressing over spinach salad, use as much or as little as you like.
Toss spinach salad: Toss salad with spinach gently. I like to start with a small amount of dressing and then add more as needed while tossing.
Serve immediately: This spinach salad is best served fresh right after you toss the spinach with the dressing.
This spinach salad recipe is so flexible! Feel like sprucing it up? Here are a few ideas.
- Make it a main dish with the addition of grilled chicken breast or browse these 65 healthy chicken recipes.
- Add red onion for a burst of pungent flavor with sweet mild undertones.
- Toss the salad with freshly crumbled feta cheese, goat cheese, or grated parmesan cheese.
- Learn how to cut an avocado and add some on top because is there ever a wrong time to add avocado?!
- Add chopped apples with dried cranberries in the fall.
- During summer pile your spinach salad high with balsamic grilled vegetables.
- Skip the sesame seeds and add toasted walnuts, pecans or sourdough croutons.
- Use a different dressing like poppy seed dressing, healthy ranch, spinach salad dressing or any one of these healthy salad dressings.
- Chopped baked bacon would add a salty and savory addition.
What To Serve With Spinach Salad?
The beauty of this spinach salad recipe is it’s just as good for a weeknight dinner as it is for a holiday meal! You can serve it with a variety of main dishes.
Oven baked chicken breast goes with it well for a low carb dinner. So does baked salmon or air fryer lamb chops.
For a quick and budget friendly vegetarian dinner make simple spaghetti recipe or low carb cheese almond flour crust pizza.
During the holidays serve with sirloin tip roast or eye of round roast.
Can You Make It Ahead of Time?
Yes. Once tossed, it is best to enjoy spinach salad the same day. Fresh spinach wilts extremely fast.
To make spinach salad recipe ahead of time either for meal prep or busy holidays, refrigerate all salad ingredients in a bowl covered with plastic wrap separately from the dressing for up to 2 days.
I also recommend to store sesame seeds in an airtight container in a cool dry place because they will get soggy in the refrigerator. Dressing lasts for up to 2 weeks in the fridge.
Olive oil hardens when refrigerated. Just place the jar with the dressing in a bowl with hot water for 10 minutes or so. Always shake salad dressing before adding to salad.
Yes. Spinach like lettuce can be consumed raw.
It depends what your goals are. According to Harvard university, to get the most lutein from spinach is best to eat it chopped raw. It also provides more fiber than cooked spinach.
However, with cooked spinach you will consume much more beta-carotene, iron and calcium. Only one problem, cooked spinach doesn’t taste good in a salad unless it is a wilted spinach salad.
First of all, do not add ingredients you don’t like. Any vegetables and nuts are welcome in this spinach salad recipe. As for dressing ingredients, some people are not fans of soy sauce or apple cider vinegar. In this case, use 1 teaspoon of salt or white wine vinegar instead.
More Green Salad Recipes to Try
More Spinach Recipes to Try
- Spinach stuffed chicken breast
- Crustless spinach quiche
- Spinach artichoke quinoa casserole
- Lentil spinach soup
You may also love to browse 52 healthy salad recipes for more inspiration!
Easy Spinach Salad Recipe
- 11 oz box of organic baby spinach pre-washed
- 4 hard boiled eggs sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes cut in halves
- 1 long English cucumber sliced
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds toasted
Healthy Spinach Salad Dressing
- 1/3 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- In a large salad bowl, add spinach, eggs, tomatoes, cucumber, mushrooms and sesame seeds.
- In a small Mason jar, add olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard and soy sauce. Screw on lid tight and shake until well mixed.
- Pour dressing over spinach salad before serving and toss gently. Serve immediately.
- Make Ahead: Refrigerate salad ingredients separately from the dressing covered with plastic for up to 2 days.
- Dressing in a jar can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks. Place in a bowl with hot water for 10 minutes to warm up, then shake.
- Cheese: Add fresh feta, goat cheese or parmesan.
- Onion: Add chopped red onion or green onion.
- Lemon juice or red wine vinegar are a good substitute for apple cider vinegar.
- Nuts: Toasted almonds or walnuts add additional crunch.
Love this recipe except it is much to heavy on the Dijon Mustard. The taste of the mustard overwhelmed the salad. I cut the mustard down to 1/2 a tbs and it was so much better!
Can’t have enough of this salad! Will be using this dressing for other salads as well. Never had raw mushrooms before. But the combination of the mushrooms, eggs and that dressing is truly exquisite.
So happy to hear, Helena! My kids live raw mushrooms. They are super delish and good for you.