Easy Chicken Egg Salad with creamy avocado and crispy bacon. This high protein salad is perfect for a healthy lunch, snack, or picnic.
Chicken egg salad with juicy chicken, creamy texture, and crunchy celery is anything but boring! I can’t get enough of this high protein, flavor-packed salad recipe.
Adding to my collection of favorite summer dishes, this chicken salad with eggs is easy to make and amazingly versatile. It’s delicious on its own, on a bed of lettuce, or on bread.
Ingredients and Notes
This chicken egg salad recipe requires a small handful of ingredients, mostly pantry and fridge staples.
- Hard boiled eggs: You can also make hard boiled eggs in Instant Pot or air fryer hard boiled eggs.
- Boneless skinless chicken breast: Oven baked to make the most juicy, tender and flavorful chicken. You can also make crock pot shredded chicken or Instant Pot shredded chicken.
- Bacon: Because everything tastes better with salty, smokey crumbled baked bacon!
- Vegetables: Chopped celery and red onion add the traditional crunchy texture.
- Diced avocado: Look for avocados that are dark green and a bit soft to touch. Soft avocados with brown skin are over ripe. Follow this easy step by step tutorial on how to dice an avocado.
- Plain yogurt: I recommend Greek yogurt with fat content of 2% and higher for a thick creamy salad.
- Mayo: A few tablespoons gives healthy chicken egg salad that authentic taste. I like to use avocado oil mayo, however you can omit.
- Seasoning and fresh herbs: Salt, ground black pepper, and fresh parsley.
How to Make Chicken Egg Salad
This chicken salad recipe with eggs is meal-prep friendly and simple to make. Here is a quick photo overview, full recipe card is below.
- Hard boil the eggs: Hard boil eggs on the stove for 12 minutes, peel then chop.
- Bake the chicken and bacon: Preheat oven to 425 F, bake chicken breast and bake bacon in the oven together for 25 minutes. Once chicken is cooked and bacon is crispy, set aside to let cool. Dice chicken and crumble bacon.
- Make a salad dressing: Add yogurt, mayo, salt and pepper to a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- Combine chicken egg salad: Add chopped eggs, chicken, bacon, celery, red onion, avocado, and parsley to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle yogurt dressing on top and gently stir with a metal spoon.
- Chill and serve salad: This chicken egg salad recipe is best served cold, chill for 30 minutes and enjoy in a sandwich, over leafy greens or straight from the bowl.
Tips and Variations for Best Results
Here are my top tips and variations to make chicken egg salad an all-time favorite.
- Chop everything into same size pieces: So you can enjoy all flavors and textures in every bite. It also makes it easier to spread over crackers or bread.
- Chop avocado last: This is the best way to prevent browning when adding avocado to any salad.
- Stir gently: To avoid mashing the egg and avocado. I recommend using a metal spoon, be gentle, and don’t over mix.
- Add crunch: With sliced almonds, pecans, walnuts, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds.
- Add fruit: Adding dried fruit will add a nice sweetness to this chicken egg salad. Golden raisins, dried cranberries, or apricots are popular. You can also add fresh fruit like halved grapes or chopped apples.
- Add spice: You don’t need to add too much seasoning but a pinch of curry powder, garlic powder, or Dijon mustard are great options.
- Greens: Add color and flavor to your sandwich with lettuce, spinach, cilantro, dill, or even chopped dill pickles. You can even substitute red onion for green onion.
This chicken salad recipe with eggs is a must for healthy lunches and quick dinners. It’s also perfect for hot summer days, BBQ’s, picnics, and celebrations.
With so many serving options, here are some of our favorites.
Sandwiches: Lunch is served! Spread between almond flour bread, croissant, bun, rolled in a wrap, or skip the bread and add it to a lettuce wrap. Grab your favorite bag of chips, you can never go wrong with chips and sandwiches.
Side dish: Make a complete well balanced meal and pair it with a light refreshing spinach avocado salad. Fruit salad makes a fantastic side, especially in the summer. Or a comforting soup and sandwich combo in the colder months.
Party favorites: Serve alongside cheese and crackers, or a vegetable platter for a delicious bite-size appetizer. Raw veggies like cucumber, celery, carrots, and bell peppers are my go-to. And Instant Pot baked beans are a must anytime we have a family cookout.
How to Store
Store: Add any leftovers to an airtight container with tight fitting lid and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
If you are making ahead of time, store all ingredients and dressing separately in the refrigerator for 2 days and combine before serving.
Freeze: I do not recommend freezing, you will lose taste and texture once thawed. The yogurt and mayo might curdle and separate and the whole salad becomes watery.
Yes! The yolks add extra creamy texture and makes the salad even healthier.
If your salad has gone bad it will have an unpleasant odor and taste, it may also appear green in color.
Sure. I recommend unsweetened dairy-free yogurt.
Yes you can, just use more yogurt in its place.
More Salad Recipes to Try
Chicken Egg Salad
- 4 large eggs
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast
- 4 bacon strips
- 1 large celery rib diced
- 1/3 cup red onion minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 large avocado diced
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt 2%+ fat
- 1/4 cup mayo I use avocado oil mayo
- 1/2 teaspoon salt more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees, place chicken breast and bacon strips on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and bacon is crispy. Remove from the oven, let cool and dice chicken and drain fat and crumble bacon.
- To make hard boiled eggs, add them to a pot, cover with cold water by an inch, place lid on top and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and let eggs stand for 12 minutes and then plunge in an ice bath for 10 minutes. Peel and chop.
- To make dressing, in medium bowl add yogurt, mayo, salt, pepper and whisk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add chopped eggs, chicken, bacon, celery, red onion, parsley and avocado. Pour dressing on top and stir salad gently with a metal spoon.
- Let chicken egg salad chill for 30 minutes in the fridge and then serve cold in a sandwich or over salad greens.
- Store: Refrigerate tightly covered for up to 5 days. Do not freeze.
- Make ahead: You can refrigerate all salad ingredients and dressing separately in airtight containers for up to 2 days. Combine before serving.
- Hard boiled eggs: You can also make Instant Pot hard boiled eggs or air fryer hard boiled eggs instead.
- No mayo? No problem! Just use Greek yogurt.